Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The ScrewTape Letters: Chapter I-IV Questions

1. Chapter II: What kind of clarity do you think Hell provides (Lewis, 7)? I think that the "clarity" would reveal past misconceptions that could have severely altered how we thought or did things. So I think the clarity would lead to a sense of irony and regret.


2. Chapter II: What do you think about the following quote? "The Enemy allows this disappointment to occur on the threshold of every human endeavour" (Lewis, 7). I think that the quote shows that there are many unforeseen factors in the things that we do. It also shows how God would want Christians to truly desire and endeavor for a relationship with Him.


3. Chapter III: Give an example or two of situations in which you have neglected the obvious (Lewis, 12). I have walked into an automatic door before; this is because I neglected the obvious fact that it was not opening as I headed toward it.


4. Chapter IV: What does Lewis suggest when he says “...whatever their bodies do affects their souls” (Lewis, 16)? He might mean that the actions we do affect how we feel or think. For an example, the act of bending on the your knees to pray. I think this may cause us, as Christians, to humble ourselves more before God.


5. Chapter I: What does Lewis mean by “real life” throughout the chapter? He means the life that the person constantly experiences and is familiar with.

Work Cited

Lewis, Clive S. The ScrewTape Letters. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 2001. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment