Monday, November 1, 2010

"On My First Son" Analysis

Analysis:

"On My First Son"

Farewell, thou child of my right hand, and joy; [Jonson says goodbye to his deceased son by saying, "Child of my right hand," which also means Benjamin.]

My sin was too much hope of thee my boy. [Jonson had high hopes for his beloved son that were taken away when he died.]

Seven years were lent thou wert lent to me, and I thee pay,
Exacted by thy fate on the just day. [Jonson only had seven year to spend with his son, but it was Benjamin's fate to die that young.]

O, could I lose all father for now! For why
Will man lament the state he should envy? [Jonson lost his sense of fatherhood with his son's death. He contemplates if he should really be sad now that his son is at peace.]

To have so soon 'scaped world's and flesh's rage,
And, if no other misery, yet age? [Benjamin would not have to suffer from some of the terrible things that are in the world such as disease, pain, and growing old.]

Rest in soft peace, and asked, say, "Here doth lie
Ben Jonson his best piece of poetry, [Even with all the other poetry Jonson has written, he thinks that the best thing he was responsible for was his son.]

For whose sake, henceforth, all his vows be such
As what he loves may never like too much." [Jonson will always cherish the memories and moments he had with his son.]

Literary worth:
This poem has literary worth for a couple of reasons. I think it has worth because it was made to honor his deceased son Benjamin. Poems that are based on real and personal events have a different "feel" to them. They add a new level of emotional input by the author. The poem also has small, but purposeful details that are included in the writing. An example would be when Jonson uses the phrase, "child of my right hand," which is the literal interpretation of Benjamin (Horton 303).

Explanation:
This poem is a dedication to Jonson's son. Jonson was showing the love he had for his son, and the

Personal:
This poem showed me how there are different ways to deal with sadness and the importance of honoring people. I do not think I would write out something like this poem; it would probably make me extremely sad. But I do believe it is important to honor loved ones who are no longer here. Whether they may be dead or in some other country, I still think it is important that we honor their memory in any way we can.



Work Cited

Jonson, Ben. "On My First Son." British Literature. Ed. Ronald A. Horton. Greenville: Bob Jones University Press, 1999. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment